Sunday, January 29, 2012

Believe and Be Confident


 Psalm 27


            A few years ago, I was blessed to see the Mary Poppins production that is still on Broadway.   The music, of course, was totally infectious and amazing.   The cast was stellar and the stagecraft exceeded all expectation.    What I loved the most were the many truly magical moments.  We need those now and again in life, don’t we?   For me, chief among such  moments is when Bert -- the chim-chiminey-chim-chiminey-chim-chim-cheree friend of Ms. Poppins -- taps and sings his way up the side of the stage then straight across the top of it.   At one point, he was tapping and singing on center stage fully suspended upside-down!   This stunt fully supports one of the musical’s central themes – anything can happen.
            As my mind replays that scene, I am inspired by the strong confidence British actor Gavin Lee had to have had to perform Bert so perfectly.   He had to have had strong confidence in himself, in the stage crew responsible for his harness, and in the producers for spending money on quality safety equipment.    I believe a lack of confidence would have showed and dimmed the shine of the dazzling production.
            Having confidence in yourself and in others is a rather big key to lots of things we do and to living an overall contented life.     Do you consider yourself a confident person?   A person who clings to intimate trust in particular truths about yourself, a special someone, other people and social systems in your life?  Even more to the point this morning, let me ask you this – are you confident in God’s care for you?
            The magnificent Psalm we just heard, rock solid #27, is a help and reminder for all of us to be completely confident in the caring, saving grace of our God.    Its fourteen verses can be broken out to help us more fully understand what this means.
            Verses 1 – 6 make up one of the strongest, most remarkable professions of faith in all of Scripture.   It is, I’ve discovered, the only place in the entire Old Testament where God is referred to as “my light.”   There are plenty of other general references to God as a great light.   Isaiah 9:2 comes to mind – “The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light.”  But none is so direct and intimate as we find in Psalm 27:1.    Instead of an entire nation, the spotlight falls on one single, special soul.   This soul has made the choice to live in faith rather than fear, to have complete confidence in the care of God.
            In this opening section, verse 3 has long been a personal favorite of mine.    I’ve read it to myself in many a precarious emotional moment and I’ve read it aloud on many pastoral visits.   “Though an army encamp against me,” it reads, “I shall not fear; though war rise up against me, I will be confident.”   Stated in the lighter, contemporary tone of biblical interpreter Eugene Peterson, it reads, “When I am besieged, I’m calm as a baby; when all hell breaks loose, I’m collected and cool.”   
            Like King David, the likely author of this Psalm, many folks I’ve known and cared for have been physically in a military war zone with real life enemies encamped around them.   Great is the power of recalling these holy words during such a time.    Other folks have lived in domestic war zones where emotional and physical violence encamped around them.   Great is the power of recalling these holy words during such a time.    
            As I’ve mentioned from time to time as part of my witness to the amazing grace of God, I grew up in an environment where every day and night I felt besieged by abusive words.  I lived with a good amount of fear.   Yet I have this special memory about how I used to hang sun-catchers on my bedroom windows throughout those growing years.  They were splendid, save for when the little suction cup thingy let loose, sending the catcher crashing down in the middle of the night.
             I also had this very special crystal-like tear drop a close friend gave me in high school.    In fact, I just found this while cleaning out closet space a few days ago.   I spent many hours staring at this, the way the sunlight would strike it and disperse itself into tiny fragments of hope all across my room and life.  Not having ever attended church, I didn’t have the faithful language then to say the Lord is my light … but I sure experienced divine presence.    I felt bathed in bright confidence … confidence in myself to survive and thrive and more importantly in something greater and beyond that would guide and deliver me.
            After verse 1-6 the language in the Psalm shifts subtly but significantly.   It’s a shift is from a broad profession of faith to a precise plea-filled prayer for help.   It shifts from speaking to us, as in “One thing I asked of the Lord” to speaking for us and directly to God, as in “Hear, O Lord, when I cry aloud … do not hide your face from me … teach me your way … lead me on a level path.”   This is intense salvation language conveys a message of bold interior confidence that God will protect and deliver.  
            Can you recall a time when you cried out a similar sort of prayer?  Made a dramatic, faithful appeal to the Almighty?  How was it answered?  Were you lead from a valley or a rocky ridge to a level path? 
            By the time the Psalm moves into its final verses, everything shifts back to a more general profession of faith.  In a good way, it’s downright preachy.   It is personal witness and full-on exhortation rolled into one holy nugget – “I believe I shall see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living … wait for the Lord, be strong, let your heart take courage!”
            That the powerful prayer song that is Psalm 27 ends with a command to wait on the Lord is not something to quickly gloss over when reading and meditating on it.  This is an invitation to return to your confidence in God time and time again, if not daily.  It’s an invitation to closely examine and re-examine where you place your most intimate, faithful trust and confidence.  If you are waiting for the Lord, you are believing in the Lord as your light and salvation.   Not just as a distant reality that happens at the time of death, but shining in the land of the living.    Where do you go to receive resplendent reassurance that God totally cares for you?
            Rev. Bill Davis, our Pastor Emeritus, and I both share a fondness for Celtic spirituality.    Evidence of this is found at the Celtic cross right outside the sanctuary door.   In general, this branch of Christian spirituality focuses on our having very personal and less formalized faith.   In a word, it’s more “folksy.”  It is strongly centered in the revelations of God’s light and love that are interwoven throughout nature, while at the same time guarding sacred mysteries.   
            I mention this in the context of Psalm 27 because this tradition has a helpful expression for where we go to find and re-find God’s light and life.   It speaks of “thin places.” 
            A “thin” place is both physical and metaphysical, earthbound as well as otherworldly.   It is a place where people go because they experience God as nearer there than in other locations.   It is a place where past, present and future are perceived as being very thinly divided.   According to one Presbyterian colleague, as this tradition grew from the fifth and sixth centuries and then out beyond actual locations around the Irish Sea, the phrase “thin place” came to encompass any “moments when the holy became visible to the eyes of human spirit … where a person is somehow able to encounter more ancient and eternal reality within the present time.”[i]
            Do you have at least one “thin place” in your life?   Every inch of nearby Camp Johnsonburg’s 400 acres works this way for me, especially the outdoor prayer labyrinth located in the middle of the woods.   
            I pray this sanctuary and all the ministry spaces of FPC fall into the “thin place” category for you.    When our building spaces and the time we spend in them giving time and talent are perceived in this way, they become centers of holy light and of growing spiritual confidence that the Lord cares for us all.   This same faithful perception can be oriented to your home and workplace as well.   “Thin places” help sustain our deepest most intimate confidence in the nearness of the Lord.   As I believe the Psalmist knew well, they transform all sorts of spaces and situations from being dark dens of despair into bright beacon-lit harbors of hope and salvation.  
            I wonder if hanging upside down, center stage, while singing and tapping is a thin place for Gavin Lee.   It sure would be for me!  I’d have the utmost confidence in God to keep me safely suspended by working through the good gifts of everyone involved in the entire production.   Say, come to think of it, this is quite a good illustration of how our church life should be in the divine production of our Lord’s light and salvation in the world.   So may the Lord first and foremost be the true confidence of all our lives, and of our life together as Fairmount Presbyterian Church, as Faithful People in Christ!  Amen.  


[i] Rev. Dr. Agnes Norfleet, www.day1.net

No comments: