Sunday, October 2, 2011

Giving Voice to God


Psalm 19
World Communion Sunday
October 2, 2011


            Inspired by our contemporary culture at large and by the Holy Spirit persistently tapping me on the shoulder … I recently created a blog.    A blog is a way of self-publishing on the computer internet.     On the down side, there isn’t a print copy of what is published.    On the up side, little to no money is needed to create a blog and there is potential for a local, national and global group of readers.   
            All sorts of blogs exist.  Some simply work like personal diaries for anyone interested in following the blogger’s life.  Some are a public forum for promoting ideologies, organizational agendas, and academic discourse.     For example, as I study the Bible, I do so using print commentaries as well online blogs by professors and pastors.   Other blogs are a perfect tool for creative types to share their arts with any and all whom they’ve managed to attract to their blog.   According to one study published in February of this year, over 156 million public blogs exist.[i] 
            The blog I created, titled “Word Windows,” (http://wordwindows.blog.com/) is a new, faithful, and creative online homestead for me.    Many of you may know that I enjoy taking digital photos of nature.   Many of you may also know that I dabble in writing poetry.    Both of these, along with sermon and song writing, are ways I feel God connects with me and personally calls on me to share the Good News.   I express myself to share how blessed I feel with gifts that have saved, sustained and strengthened my faith journey as well as companioned other people on their walks with our Lord.
            On the “Word Windows” blog, I post a photo I’ve taken that I feel glorifies our Creator and then I write some form of prayer poem about it.   This fusion of image and word is intended to point to the beautiful, abundant, peaceful life with God we have in our Lord Jesus.   
             When I created this blog a couple weeks ago, I didn’t know I’d be preaching about Psalm 19 on this World Communion Sunday.  When preparing for the sermon each week, I always check the common lectionary – a church calendar oriented, ecumenical, world-wide list of suggested Scriptures for preaching and teaching.   Psalm 19 was on the list for today.  And the moment I read it, I really understood it!   What it teaches is pretty much how the Word Windows blog works in my life and what I hope it conveys to those who visit it.
            Psalm 19 brings a full, faithful witness to two primary ways God connects with us.   It points to how our Creator’s inspiring, instructive, authoritative “voice” comes to us through the awesomeness of the natural world and through the written word of Scripture.     
            Unfortunately, church history is pockmarked with problems regarding modes of divine revelation.    
            For Christians, there is strong, central consensus about God being most fully revealed in the person of Jesus Christ.  We come to know this revelation by reading the Gospels and by welcoming the Holy Spirit to interpret His holy truth for us in the context of our lives and our faith communities.  
            Global debates rise up, however, about how God may or may not be additionally revealed.   We accept that Jesus, as witnessed to in the written New Testament, is God’s fullest revelation.  But folks get into disagreements about how much authority to give to other means of divine revelation, such as, and specifically, whether God’s nature is additionally revealed through the natural world.   Suffice it to say, there is a lot of thick theological grass to tread upon in trying to create consensus.
            Walking on the edge of that thicket, I suggest we take a good stroll with none other than C.S. Lewis.  He had this to say – “Nature never taught me that there exists a God of glory and infinite majesty.  I had to learn that in other ways.  But nature gave the word glory meaning for me.  I still do not know where I could have found one.”
            I understand C.S. Lewis to be saying that he learned and accepted the historic story of God’s glory through reading and being taught God’s Word in the Scriptures.    The special, written revelation that led to our Bible was primary.   But no written words could capture the magnificent scope of God’s glory.    This was impressed on his mind and soul much more so through the inspiration and revelation found when experiencing the incredibly expansive, exquisitely detailed, life-thriving creation God has given us in the natural world.
            Throughout the earliest years of my life, I did not read nor was I taught the Bible.   God was intuitively grasped and not in print for me.    I didn’t begin studying the holy written word in earnest until I was hired to work at nearby Camp Johnsonburg while in college.   I recall how those 400 acres of splendid nature “spoke to me” of diversity and of cycles of life existing in, for, and to God’s glory. I’d always found nature fascinating and beautiful, but not until I read the Bible did I understand it all as testimony to our Creator.   So I take the insight of C.S. Lewis, and encourage you to do so, because I really get it.   And it helps us to get and appreciate the strong duel witness to God’s revelation that is at the heart of Psalm 19.    Another scholar sums it up by saying “creation and law, nature and word, complement each other, together bearing fuller witness to God than either alone.”   Additionally, this same scholar makes the excellent point that by “hearing the voice of God in creation, hearing the voice of God’s Law, we can join the voice of the Psalmist in the Psalms final section … praying that our words, our voice, be acceptable to God.”[ii]
            This Psalm is a wonderful, holy word to lift up on this World Communion Sunday.    All kinds of people in all sorts of places across our world receive God’s written and natural revelation.    This is common ground for all Christians.   And this truth sets the table for how we are about to celebrate God’s fullest revelation through Jesus, the Word made flesh.  
            As God’s most authoritative voice, the same voice that was present and breathing upon the formless void at the beginning of all creation, Jesus spoke instructions at the Last Supper.     He instructed every single one of his friends to remember him and commune with him through the repeating of his words during a meal of wine and bread.    He continues to reveal the loving, reconciling reality of God to every brother and sister in the faith through this ritual, this sacrament.    The Lord’s Supper is celebrated because we follow the written word in the Bible to do so.   And as we do, we have a tangible experience of holy presence.  This happens by way of two elements drawn from nature – the fruit of the grapevine (remember, we are the branches, Jesus is the vine!) and the grains that make life-sustaining bread.   
            I’m pleased to say that World Communion Sunday was originated with the Presbyterian Church.   The intention from the start, back in 1936, was for it to be a special Sunday of global, ecumenical togetherness around God’s Word.    It is a time to celebrate our oneness in Christ, the Prince of Peace, in the midst of the world we are all called to faithfully serve.[iii]     And so we are here to do so today.   
            As we share in the responsive litany found in your bulletin, may the written words inspire you to regularly reflect upon God’s glory throughout the natural world and centrally in the Scriptural witness to Jesus.     I have a feeling I’ll have at least one new Word Windows blog post to create in joyful reflection upon today’s worship!  Let us now prepare our hearts for this revelatory feast!  Amen.


[i] "BlogPulse". The Nielsen Company. February 16, 2011. Retrieved 2011-02-17.
[ii] Fred Gaiser, Prof. of Old Testament, Luther Seminary @ www.workingpreacher.org

1 comment:

Linda B said...

wow! Pastor Rich, your sermon completely coincides with how I've tried to explain to my children as they matured why and how I can and do believe in something some would say I cannot see, touch, smell, etc. Because, in my view of reality, I most certainly can sense Him in every aspect of life. He, God, creator of all we perceive and all we cannot even imagine, is everywhere. He is the energy from raging rivers and storming seas, to barely breathing bodies in their last moments of physical life, and in everything else no human could alone create. Thank you for explaining how you came to believe as you do, and to share so eloquently (with who knows now how many!) I'll be looking forward to your gifted ways of communicating our faith.